The BJC Collaborative
BJC HealthCare of St. Louis, Mo., CoxHealth of Springfield, Mo., Memorial Health System of Springfield, Ill., and Saint Luke’s Health System of Kansas City, Mo., partnered together in October 2012 to create The BJC Collaborative, L.L.C.
The goal of the BJC Collaborative is to achieve even higher quality care for the patients served by these
independent not-for-profit health care organizations. Blessing Health System of Quincy, Ill., joined
The Collaborative in May 2013, and Southern Illinois Healthcare of Carbondale, Ill., joined in September 2013.
Benefits of The BJC Collaborative
While remaining independent, the Collaborative members have a footprint of more than 4,800 hospital beds spanning Missouri, Illinois and Kansas, and combined annual revenues of almost $7 billion, allowing the members of The BJC Collaborative to focus on:
- deploying clinical programs and services to improve access to and quality of health care for patients
- lowering health care costs and creating additional efficiencies that will be beneficial to patients and the communities served by the member organizations
- achieving cost savings
Additional opportunities that may be explored by the Collaborative include developing and sharing best practices around:
- Population Health Management – population health information and assessment, physician recruitment and engagement strategies, including Accountable Care Organizations and medical home development
- Clinical and Service Quality – performance improvement, staff development and training, including eLearning, management and leadership development, clinical skills training, clinical decision support, safety event reporting and emergency preparedness
- Capital Asset Management – supply chain relationships, facilities design, clinical engineering, technology evaluation, energy conservation and facilities management
- Financial Services – capital resource evaluation analysis, treasury options, revenue cycle, business intelligence and actuarial expertise
- Information Systems and Technology – meaningful use of health IT, data center management, data warehousing, software applications, hardware configurations and emerging technologies, data security and patient confidentiality
The four founding partners are:
BJC HealthCare (St. Louis, Mo.), a 13-hospital system with urban, suburban and rural hospitals serving eastern Missouri and southern Illinois.
Memorial Health System (Springfield, Ill.), a four-hospital, non-profit health care organization serving Illinois patients in a 40-county region.
Saint Luke’s Health System (Kansas City, Mo.), an 11-hospital system with several primary and specialty care practices and the largest non-profit health care provider in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
Cox Health (Springfield, Mo.), Springfield’s only locally owned not-for-profit health system serving a 25-county area in southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas.
Blessing Health System (Quincy, Ill.) joined the Collaborative in May 2013 and serves a 100-mile radius.
Southern Illinois Healthcare (Carbondale, Ill.) joined in September 2013 and has three hospitals serving a seven-county area in southern Illinois.
BJC Collaborative fact sheet